Monday, August 25, 2014

Potty Training Update

After a few frustrating days, wanting to give up, then regrouping and starting fresh
over the weekend, we had a break through.  Owen is doing GREAT with potty training!!

We had a pretty busy weekend but I was determined to let him stay in his undies.
We started off on Saturday morning driving out to see our friends in Glen Ellyn, a 30 minute
car ride.  We arrived at our destination and his undies were dry.  Great start to the weekend!
While we were at our friend's house we kept him in his diaper just in case there were
accidents, but he kept it dry.  He even went on the potty twice at their house.  Later in the
day we went to Target and he stayed dry the whole time we were there too.

Sunday was a similar day.  We went to visit friends in the morning and ran some errands
in the afternoon.  A lot of time in the car and we only had one accident.  He tried telling us
he had to go but we were on the highway and couldn't get off fast enough. But the fact
that he knew he had to go and told us is huge!

We have a few little accidents here and there, but he is starting to tell me when he has to go
now pretty consistently.  We ventured out to the park today and twice while we were there
he came and told me he had to go potty.  Now it could be that I bribed him and told
him if he kept his undies dry we would stop and buy a squirt gun on the way home, but I'll
take it!  A win is a win no matter how you get there.  :)   


He continued his super day keeping his undies dry the entire afternoon from the time he
woke up from his nap until the time he went to bed.  What's even more exciting is that ever
since we started potty training and had our first poop accident on day 1, he has pooped
almost exclusively in the toilet.  I think he woke up with some in his diaper one
morning, but other than that he always goes on the potty which is awesome!

I'm so proud of him and so happy we stayed with it.  We might have deviated from the 3 Day Potty Training method a little, but I feel like it is important to adapt.  After observing him for a

few days, I realized that he gets so excited playing that he doesn't always want to take a
break to go potty.  So if it's been a long time since he's gone, I'm ok suggesting we try to use
the potty.  The book would tell me not to and that I need to wait for him to tell me, but I'd
rather have him in dry undies and risk the process taking a few extra days.
He'll get the hang of it.  He already is!  We have fewer and fewer accidents every day.
He seems like such a big boy now with his little undies on.  Way to go Owen!

No comments:

Post a Comment