Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Disney Day 2 - Magic Kingdom

For our first full day at the park, we spent it at our favorite...Magic Kingdom.  


There are so many different rides for the kids, and it is the park that I remember most from
when I was little.  We got there a little early so we were right up in front when they dropped
the rope to let us into the park.  The way it opens now is a little different than it used to.
Previously everyone would wait outside the main gates, the train would come in front with
characters and there would be a welcome show.  Now, they let everyone in the main gates
and onto Main Street a little early, but keep the individual lands roped off.  The welcome
show is on the main stage in front of the castle and when it is over, they open the ropes
leading to each of the lands.
  

We walked up Main street which was beautifully decorated with Christmas decor.  This is
the first time I have been at Disney during the Christmas season and it was everything I
imagined it would be.  We went to the rope to the right of the castle because it gave us the
quickest walk to Mine Train.  We were able to see a little bit of the welcome show from there
which worked out nicely.  Here it is from a much better vantage point that what we had.  ;)
  

When the roped dropped we hurried to Mine Train and Joe, Owen and I were able to walk
right on.  Since Miles can't go on a lot of the rides yet, we take advantage of the Rider
Switch program.  One of us goes on the ride with the two boys, then they give us a fast
pass for the other one of us to use with them later.  Essentially the boys get to ride twice,
which is a nice advantage.



This was Joe's first time on a roller coaster and I think it's safe to say he was a little scared.
He gripped that bar in front of him for dear life.  I sat behind them, leaned forward and
rubbed his shoulder the entire ride trying to calm him down.  He wasn't crying, but I could
tell he was not happy.  It was no surprise that when we got off he wanted no part of going
back on with Ryan.  Even Owen wasn't sold on going right back on, so we saved the fast
pass for later.  We decided to slow things down a little bit and go on some of our favorites
so Miles could enjoy them too...Peter Pan and It's a Small World.
Slow, yet fun and entertaining.




Our first fast pass of the day was for Pirates of the Caribbean.  The boys used to love this
ride, but this time they weren't as thrilled.  They have been scared of the dark lately, which I
think might be part of the problem since the beginning of the ride is pretty dark.  Plus we got
splashed when we went past the first pirate ship that is shooting the cannons, which didn't
help.  I remember seeing the splashes in years before, but I don't ever remember getting
wet.  This time Ryan and the boys got a little wet with one on their side of the boat, and then
one came out of nowhere on my side and soaked Miles and I.  Needless to say, we were
both startled.  I screamed out loud and he started crying.  He calmed down pretty quickly,
but held me tightly for the remainder of the ride.  I still love it though, contrary to what this
picture would have you believe.  I had no idea they took your picture on this ride.  In my
defense, no one looks particularly excited.  They clearly need to find a better spot to take
the picture if they don't want a boat full of expressionless passengers.



Another ride the boys used to love but are now scared of, and only went on once, is
Haunted Mansion.  We used to call it spooky house and I think we went on it 3 or 4 times
last visit.  This time we went on it once and they were done.  Didn't want to go again.
I think once again the darkness was the culprit.  

The one I thought they would be terrified of but Owen actually loved was Thunder
Mountain.  It was our second fast pass of the day.  Ryan let me go first with the boys again
since I was pregnant on our last trip and didn't get to do any of these roller coasters.  I
hadn't been on in a long time and forgot how much I love it.  It is so fast and so much fun.
It literally makes me laugh out loud because it whips you all over the place and all you can
do is hold on and try to steady yourself.  The whole time we were on it I knew Joe was
probably terrified, but at that point there was nothing I could do but try to enjoy myself all
while comforting him at the same time.  We were on it for better or worse.  Not surprisingly,
Joe didn't want to go on again with Ryan, but Owen was game.





After that we went to our lunch reservation at Be Our Guest.  We were lucky and found a
table in the West Wing, which is my favorite.  It's dark and looks just like the room from the
Beast's castle in the movie.  Both Miles and Joe had fallen asleep in the stroller while we
were waiting for Owen and Ryan at Thunder Mountain and continued to sleep through most
of lunch.  It actually worked out great because it saved us from having to go back to the
hotel for naps.  We let the boys sleep during lunch and then they were ready to go again.
We hit up Peter Pan, Tomorrowland Speedway, Little Mermaid, Dumbo, and Buzz Lightyear.
  















It honestly was such a fun day and couldn't have worked out any better with the nap
situation.  Aside from being scared on a few rides, the boys really enjoyed themselves.  



We would have stayed in the park longer, but I had made special reservations at T-Rex,
which is a dinosaur themed restaurant at Disney Springs.  Basically Rainforest Cafe, but
with dinosaurs.  I was so excited to take the boys there because of how much they love
dinosaurs.  It was definitely cool, but if I'm being 100% honest, not quite as cool as what I
envisioned in my head.  The boys still seemed entertained though, which is all that matters. 
I'm kicking myself because somehow I didn't manage to get any pictures of it! 

We finished up dinner and went home so we could rest up for our next big day.  I am having
so much fun on this trip and am enjoying watching the boys every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment