Tuesday, May 6, 2014

And so it begins...

Look who got his helmet today....
 
 
When Joe was born his neck was a little tight on one side so he always favored looking
to his right.  We worked with him to stretch it out every day, gave him plenty of tummy
time and always tried to reposition him so he would look the opposite direction.  Despite
our best efforts, his head became pretty asymmetric and we were recommended to 
get him fitted for a DOC Band (fancy term for helmet).
 
As much as I want to do what's best for him, the thought of him having to wear a helmet
23 hours a day for 3-4 months was pretty disheartening.  I was afraid it would bother him,
afraid it would be too hot, afraid he would have a hard time sleeping in it.  Everyone tells
you the babies adjust really quickly to it, but I wasn't entirely convinced and prayed that he
would do ok.  Prayed it wouldn't bother him.  Prayed he would be his same happy self.
 
I am very happy to say that thus far my prayers have been answered.  I realize we are only
8 hours in, but I've been pleasantly surprised.  It didn't bother him at all when they first put it
on him.  He looked at Ryan and I and gave us our favorite big goofy grin as if to say, 
"Don't worry guys.  I got this!" 


Then when we got home he continued his day as usual.  Rode fine in the car seat, holding 
him while nursing wasn't awkward at all like I had envisioned, napped like a champ, and
he rolled all over the ground with ease playing with his toys.
 


  Thank you for easing all of my fears little Joe.  I'm glad you're so happy with your helmet, because you make wearing a helmet look GOOD!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment